- The University of Almería establishes the supervisory functions for doctoral students through a Commitment Form signed by the PhD student, the supervisor, the tutor and the Coordinator of the PhD Program.
- In the pre-registration process, this document will be signed by the candidate and the director-nominee. If the student is selected, the document will be completed by the administration with the rest of the required signatures, which will make it a documentary commitment.
- The document includes a procedure for possible conflicts concerning to the intellectual or industrial rights that could be generated from the scientific research.
- Every time a director, co-director or tutor is modified, a new documentary commitment must be generated that reflects the agreed final situation.
Any Spanish or foreign Doctor, not retired (except for Emeritus Professors), may supervise a PhD student (Director of Thesis) when he meets any of the following requirements:
- a) Being in possession of two six-year research activity evaluation (or EIEDT *).
- b) Be in possession of an alive six-year research activity evaluation (or EIEDTA **).
* In the case of researchers to whom the six-year research activity evaluation is not applicable, equivalent evaluation periods of 6 years are established. The same specific criteria established by the National Commission for Evaluation of Research Activity will be used. This CV evaluation corresponds to the International Doctoral School.
** That EIEDT for which no more than 7 years have elapsed since the last positive evaluation.
This document must be signed by the student, directors, tutor and coordinator of the PhD program.
In the pre-registration and future possible modifications of directors or tutor.
First commitment form:
Through the Junta de Andalucía platform (link), with the presentation of the rest of the documentation required for admission to the doctorate.
Subsequent commitment forms:
Every time a director, co-director or tutor is modified, a new commitment form must be generated that reflects the agreed final situation.
By request of the student by CAU to EIDUAL.
The Research Plan is the Research Work he student tries to develop during his period as a PhD student, as well as strategy to reach it.
It includes four sections:
- Provisional title of the thesis
- Media and planning
The research planning is prepared by the student and reviewed by the director. Throughout the PhD it can be updated. The director (research supervisor) will control that the research fits what is programmed in the research planning.
The research planning will be in the PRE-ENROLLMENT period. This is one of the evaluable items (rules stablished by the academic committee) for the PhD student selection.
The selected candidate must upload this initial planning to the RAPI web platform, on the dates established for it..
CONFIRM / MODIFY
Once a year, the PhD student must NECESSARILY TO BE EVALUATED: either 1) to confirm that the Research Planning is the proper one, or 2) to modify the Research Plan in order to improve it, establish new strategies or redo it according to the evolution of its scientific research. To this end, it will use the digital platform established for this purpose, RAPI, and on the dates established for this purpose. Both the Confirmation and the Modification of the Research Plan will be endorsed by the student's director so that it becomes valid.
Once a person is registered as PhD student, the personalized activity document is generated. It is an individualized control record. Throughout the PhD, the student must carry out training activities that will be evaluated by the Program Academic Committee. These activities are proposed by the International PhD School (normally common to all PhD students) or the Program Academic Committees (specific in their research field). In addition, the student may also carry out all those training activities agreed with the PhD supervisor: attendance at conferences, seminars, presentations, etc.
The Program Academic Committee will annually evaluate the activity document together with the report that the tutor must issue for this purpose.
The student will upload the activities to the platform and the tutor will be the person in charge of making a report indicating whether it fits with the field of the PhD program.
Updating the activity document is the responsibility of the student. The evaluation is responsibility of the student tutor. Every year, this is an essential requirement to be able for the next year registration or PhD thesis deposit.
Before April 30thThe date when the option to upload activities is closed so that the tutor can inform.
Change of modality, extension and time suspension
The duration of the doctoral studies is 3 years full time. The modification of these deadlines is carried out as follows.
Change of modality: it can be full-time or part-time and involves a change in the dedication of the student. The immediate consequence is that the student has up to 5 years to carry out the research work part-time.
Extension: It means an extension of the date for the thesis submission. Depending on the modality to which the student belongs, the Academic Committee may authorize the extension in the following way:
- Full time: one more year, expandable to an additional one.
- Part time: two more years, expandable to an additional one.
Time Suspension: it will be considered as a temporary withdrawal with a maximum period of duration of one year expandable to another.
In all cases, the student must have the approval of the director as well as the Program Academic Committee. In the case of change of modality or suspension, documentary justification of the reasons that justify this change is required.
The request must be submitted by the student.
Request for change of mode: at any time during the ordinary period.
Request for extension: from October 1st and always before the end of the term of stay (which can be found on the RAPI platform by accessing it from the virtual campus).
Request for temporary suspension: will always be requested for the following course, never for a course already started except in very exceptional cases and the period is from May 1st to September 15th.